As the new school year kicks off, it’s time to dust down the pencil case, break in those new shoes and get back into term-time routines.
We all know what it means when the kids finally get home from a long day at school: snack-time.
Every day, like clockwork, a bunch of hungry kids run through the door come 4 p.m. It’s rather astonishing how much food kids can scarf down after school, and it’s hard to find quick snacks that everyone will love. Sure, you probably have an entire press dedicated to packaged snacks that are ready to eat. But those snacks are not only not the healthiest option but they also cost quite a lot of money in the long run. After all, how many years do kids go to school again?
If nutrition and budget are concerns of yours too, why not start making snacks from scratch? Trust me, you do not need to be a chef to do this. Oh, and if you think these biscuits take hours to prepare, they don't. They can be prepared in minutes or can be part of your Sunday meal-prep.
Oat Biccy Dippers with live yogi dip
A different after-school option of homemade oat biscuits with a scrumptious Live Yogi dip.
Makes 14 Biscuits
- 100g Wholemeal Flour
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 100g Light brown Sugar
- 80g Butter
- 1 pot of Vanilla Live Yogi
- 2 handfuls of flaked almonds
- Heat oven to 180®C & line baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sift flour & mix in baking powder, oats and the caster sugar
- Melt the butter, honey and milk in a bowl in the microwave, taking care not to burn.
- Add to the dry ingredients slowly, and combine.
- Shape mixture into balls around 10cm wide, leaving space between each biscuit.
- Bake for 10 mins
For the Dip
- 2 pots Vanilla Live Yogi
- 1 Tsp Honey
- 80g strawberries, pureed
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients & refrigerate
Glenilen Farm’s Live Yogi Kids range is available in supermarkets nationwide, glenilenfarm.com.