You have just found your new favourite breakfast.
Tacos are truly special. No, seriously, hear us out. They're one of those rare foods that can be consumed for any meal — breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Imagine a warm, fat-laden flour tortilla filled with marinated pork. Or a crispy hard shell topped with spicy shrimp. Or a perfectly charred corn one with some carne asada splayed on top. Or maybe it’s an all-grain version with some chorizo-flavoured tofu? The possibilities are practically endless.
But our favourite way to enjoy a taco? With cheese - and for breakfast. Not only will these keep you full until lunch, but they've also been known to cure a mean hangover. Even better, there is no wrong way to make a breakfast taco, but here's how we do ours:
cheesy breakfast tacos
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100g good quality chorizo, diced
- 25g butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 100g vintage cheddar, grated
- 4 tablespoons Jalapeño relish
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Small handful fresh coriander leaves
- Hot sauce, to serve
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat one tablespoon of the oil along with the chorizo and toss in the pan for 1-2 minutes until they pick up a little colour, set aside on a plate. Wipe the pan clean and add the remaining tablespoon of oil along with the butter to the pan, once the butter has melted, add the eggs. Season. Cook gently, stirring, until just set. This will only take a minute or less. Set aside.
2. Place tortillas onto the pan and spread over one tablespoon of the relish along with a quarter of the chorizo, eggs and cheese onto one half of the tortilla, fold the other half on top. Toast for a minute on each side until golden and the cheese has melted. Repeat with the remaining three tortillas.
To serve, sprinkle with spring onions, coriander and a drizzle of hot sauce.
To read the full recipe courtesy of Donal Skehan in collaboration with The National Dairy Council, click here.
The National Dairy Council has joined up with the European Milk Forum to launch Cheese Your Way, an EU-funded multi-country campaign involving Denmark, France and Ireland. This three-year programme runs from 2019-2021 with the aim of promoting and creating awareness of the taste, quality, versatility and convenience of cheese in everyday life.
For more recipes visit cheeseyourway.ie