As summer evenings draw to a close, forgive us for wanting to cling onto the sartorial nonchalance we associated with warmer weather.
The key to beach-inspired strands? Making sure your waves don't look too perfect — you want to look like you've been in and out of the ocean all day, after all.
With that in mind, achieve your own surf-tousled strands using this line up of industry-approved formulas that’ll create perfect beachy waves, protect your hair from sun damage and make styling a cinch.
Also, armed with the best salt sprays on the market, be sure to check out the queen of heat-free waves Tara Marzuki, where she explains her styling technique in detail. Seriously, it'll change your hair life.
Shop Salt Sprays
Or for those keen to opt for the DIY version... Be warned, far more drying is involved.
To make a DIY texturising salt spray, you'll need the following:
- 1 cup of hot water (not boiling)- Can also use strong Chamomile Tea as the base if you want to lighten hair or black tea as the base if you want to darken hair, but you will need to keep in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons Epsom salts (or more for extra texture)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Sea Salt (optional but adds stiffness)
- 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel
- Optional: a few drops of essential oils or a spritz of your favourite perfume for scent
- Optional: 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 teaspoon vodka or alcohol- if you want to lighten hair (the lemon juice lightens and the alcohol preserves).
- Get a spray bottle that holds at least 10 ounces, you can multiply the recipe as necessary to fill the size of the bottle.
- Put the hot water (or tea) in the spray bottle and add the Epsom salts, sea salt (optional), aloe vera, conditioner, scent (optional) and lemon juice/vodka (if using).
- Put the cap on the bottle and shake for 1-2 minutes or until Epsom salts and sea salt are dissolved. Store in the fridge if using lemon juice or tea base, or at room temperature if you aren’t. Will last 3-4 months.
Main image by @tarmarz