Could Netflix be coming for Project Runway's crown?
Fashion designer and Queer Eye fashion darling Tan France is teaming up with multi-hyphenate and OG 'it' girl Alexa Chung to give the next generation of style innovators a leg up in the industry.
Premiering on streaming service Netflix, Next In Fashion will follow the lives of eighteem up-and-coming designers compete for a $250,000 cash prize and the opportunity to launch a clothing line with Net-a-Porter.
The 10-part series follows Tan and Alexa as they guide the show's international contestants through challenges which will then be judged by some of fashion's biggest names; Eva Chen, Monique Lhuillier, Elizabeth von der Goltz, Adriana Lima, Beth Ditto and Tommy Hilfiger.
The series has scouted talent from all over the world including Claire Davis who explores eco-friendly fashion and Farai Simoyi-Agbede has designed for Beyoncé and Jay-Z.
Fellow castmates include:
- Adolfo Sanchez is a Mexican-American designer specialising in evening wear and bridal
- Angel Chen is based in China and has founded a line which looks to fuse Eastern and Western-style
- Korean designer Minju Kim works on contemporary womenswear
- LA-based Ashton Hirota works on streetwear
- Marco Morante produces designer underwear
- Charles Lu has experience in intricate gowns
- Italian Angelo Cruciani is behind the Yezael fashion label
- Daniel Fletcher is primarily a menswear designer
- Carli Pearson specialises in bespoke, inclusive clothing
- Scotland’s Hayley Scanlan is the founder of her own womenswear label
- Julian Woodhouse had a military background before entering the world of fashion
- Pakistani-American Isaac Saqib is behind the striking Mercy & Mankind brand
- Nasheli Ortiz-Gonzalez is an associate professor and department chair at the Moore College of Art & Design in Pennsylvania
- New York City-based Kianga ‘KiKi’ Peterson helped launch the hip hop apparel label FUBU
- Lorena Saravia Butcher has worked and collaborated with fashion brands
- and Narresh Kukreja is co-founder of Indian label Shivan and Narresh
Miranda Priestly would be impressed.
“All I can say is it comes out early next year, and in my opinion, it’s one of the best competition shows you will see – it is incredible,” Tan France said during an interview with Elle.
“It is so much better than you would ever expect. The contestants are formidable and Alexa and I – we are dynamite together. We didn’t know each other before but we get on like a house on fire and that’s what makes it a really fun show.”
“I only met her once at a party earlier on in the year and I was a huge fan and really nervous, and apparently she was a fan and she fangirled. Then I was cast in the show and they were looking for a co-host and decided on Alexa, I was over the moon,” he continued.
Next in Fashion is available on Netflix worldwide now.
Main image by @alexachung