Today’s trends are reinvented from a time before, so below, we've broken down just how to look back at the past for new season inspiration, decade by decade.
In a new fashion frontier, the message has never been more clear: shopping pre-loved items is the way forward in this increasingly eco-conscious world. But how does that translate to your wardrobe?
Cue, desirable pre-loved website, Vestiaire Collective. We’ve pulled together the key pieces from fashion’s best-loved decades and the names of the style savants who wore them best to show you how to shop vintage with aplomb.
Seventies fashion is a cornerstone for many veritable wardrobe staples we know and love today: the dramatic sleeve, the wide-legged trouser; Jerry Hall and Bianca Jagger were doing Peter Pan collars long before they were amassing thousands of likes on Instagram.
STYLING TIP A PEASANT DRESS NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE. DIAL IT UP WITH SOME BOHO ACCESSORIES.
1. Leather boots, €268, Rochas at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
2. Camisole, €1389, Paco Rabanne at Vesitaire Collective - SHOP
3. Leather bag, €951, Gucci at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
4. Oversized sunglasses, €250, Gucci at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
5. Lurex top, €570, Gucci at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
The eighties was a time of excess – and breaking the gender rules. More precisely, it birthed the much-coveted ‘borrowed from the boys’ look that reigns supreme in your wardrobe today. We can thank the likes of Lauren Hutton and Lisa Bonnet who combined classic tailoring staples and gender-neutral denim with an androgynous, tomboy flair.
STYLING TIP INVEST IN SOME CLASSIC STAPLES: A TRENCH COAT AND A RELIABLE PAIR OF JEANS MAKE A GOOD STARTING POINT.
1. Patent loafers, €199, Gucci at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
2. Straight jeans, €55, Levi's at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
3. Belt, €1264, Chanel at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
4. Timeless Classique velvet bag, €2,094, Chanel at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
5. Trench coat, €400, Burberry Prorsum at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
Grunge, plaid, navel-gazing: that’s how many of us recall the 90s. However, the sleek and streamlined fashion coterie is what continues to inspire fashion in 2020. Coo over Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy’s minimal shirting and slip dresses; emulate Diana Spencer’s athleisure prowess by working cycling shorts into your next look: it’s all about that minimal mash-up.
STYLING TIP: A DARK COLOUR PALETTE IS KEY, THINK EBONY BLACKS AND INKY NAVIES.
1. Satin mules, €87, Prada at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
2. Vest top, €331, Maison Martin Margiela at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
3. Kelly 35 leather handbag, €4,500, Hermès at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
4. Sunglasses, €190, Chanel at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
5. Silk corset, €204, Christian Dior at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
Hello, 00s nostalgia! The aughts were a time that many of us still remember: including the good, the bad and the not-so-chic outfits (butterfly clips, anyone?). Thankfully, fashion’s 00s rendition allows us to hone in on the decade’s shining style stars. Think minimal mules, sleek cargo pants, of-the-moment tube tops and playful colour blocking.
STYLING TIP: GO BIG OR GO HOME! CLASH COLOURS, PRINTS AND MOODS IN THIS MODERN MIX.
1. Mini-dress, €212, Junya Watanabe at Vestiaire Collective- SHOP
2. Mules, €340, Gucci at Vestiaire Collective -SHOP
3. Tank top, €117, Jean-Paul Gaultier at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
4. Alma cloth bag, €679, Louis Vuitton at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
5. Jacket, €337, Issey Miyake at Vestiaire Collective - SHOP
Right now, there is up to 70 per cent off all vintage pieces on the platform. Download the Vestiaire Collective app HERE to get in on the action.