This gorgeous recipe for mini halloumi-filled pies from the crew at Black Sheep Foods is a winner. Make a batch for a simple, tasty dinner – and they're perfect for weekend picnics too.
(yields approximately 20 mini-pies)
Wild Garlic Pesto
160g wild garlic thoroughly washed and roughly chopped (1 large bunch) (save the flowers for garnish)
2 cloves garlic
35g whole, blanched almonds
125g grated Parmesan cheese
Zest and juice of one lemon
400ml olive oil
Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
Filo pastry sheets (store bought)
3 tbsps melted butter
200g Halloumi, cut into small chunks
8 sun-dried tomatoes cut in half
1. Preheat the oven to approximately 170 degrees.
2. To make the pesto, add wild garlic leaves, garlic cloves, spinach, almonds, cheese, zest and juice of lemon into a food processor and blitz until everything is well mixed together. Slowly add in the desired amount of olive oil until runny consistency. Taste for seasoning.
3. Take one filo sheet and brush with butter. Layer another sheet on top and brush again with butter. Fold in half, bringing the bottom to the top and cut into rectangles. You will get approximately 5 out of each set.
4. Spoon approximately 1 teaspoon of wild garlic pesto into the middle of your rectangle, top with a chunk of halloumi and sun dried tomato. Roll up, tucking the edges in slightly. Repeat this process. Before baking, brush with melted butter and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
5. Place into hot oven until crispy approximate 12 to 15 minutes. To serve, dollop with a tiny bit more of the pesto and garnish with the edible garlic flowers.
READ THIS: FIVE INSTAGRAM ACCOUNTS THAT WILL GIVE YOU WANDERLUST.