And because we're very much into the idea of making the Christmas spirit last all year long, we've teamed up with not just the bar at The Hardiman but the entire hotel to give one lucky Irish Tatler reader the chance of winning an overnight stay for you and a friend.
In the run-up to peak party season, you need three things in your arsenal: caffeine, alcohol and the festive spirit.
If you’re ill-prepared, this could mean running around in a Santa hat clutching your keep cup. Or, it could simply mean whipping up this delicious Christmas cocktail concoction.
We reached out to Mary Donnelly, Bar Manager at The Hardiman Galway and asked her to let us in on their little holiday secret. And oh, did she deliver. All I (and everyone you know) want for Christmas is to try this recipe for this festive espresso martini.
ESPRESSO MARTINI RECIPE
50ml Fonte Espresso Coffee
50ml Jameson Irish Whiskey
100g golden caster sugar
50ml cold water
100g white sugar
100g crushed chocolate chips
- 1 wedge of lemon
1. Start by making the sugar syrup. Put the caster sugar in a small pan over a medium heat and pour in 50ml water. Stir, and bring to the boil. Turn off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
2. Wipe the rim of a chilled, oversized martini glass with a lemon wedge. Pour white sugar and crushed chocolate chips into a saucer and mix well. Dip glass rim in mixture and roll to thoroughly coat rim.
3. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
4. Once the sugar syrup is cold, pour 1 tbsp into the cocktail shaker and add the Kahlua, Jameson Irish Whiskey and Fonte espresso coffee.
5. Shake the ingredients hard for at least 10 seconds to create a nice foam.
6. Strain into a martini cocktail glass to get rid of all the small ice chips. Sit back and enjoy!
TRENDING TODAY: Where To Catch Brunch This Christmas Eve In Dublin
Once you've had your espresso martini fix, it's time to take yourself (and friend) on the minibreak you deserve. This month Galway’s Hotel Meyrick was renamed The Hardiman and to celebrate the occasion we have a fantastic overnight stay to give away. Named after the respected Galway-based historian and scholar James Hardiman, who was renowned for his deep love of Irish history, culture and the arts, this escape to The Hardiman on Galway’s Eyre Square includes accommodation in a stylish refurbished room, a delicious Irish breakfast in the Gaslight Brasserie and cocktails for two in The Oyster Bar.
A breakaway to The Hardiman is not just a new name above the door. The team at Galway’s favourite hotel have also been busy elegantly renovating a number of stylish new bedrooms and public spaces in keeping with the new name and the building’s original history as a railway hotel.
To be in the chance of winning an overnight stay for two including B&B at the newly named The Hardiman hotel in county Galway, simply answer the question below!
For more hotel information and to plan your next Galway adventure see www.thehardiman.ie
This competition is open to the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland residents aged 18 or over unless any other age restriction is specified or implied. Terms & Conditions apply – this prize is subject to availability and cannot be used during Christmas, New Year's Eve, Easter or Bank Holidays weekends. Closing date 29/12/2019.