Cue the spooky music.
Dusk is waning, the full moon is rising, and my faithful black cat has begun to purr. Brace yourselves, because Halloween has well and truly begun.
Hear that cauldron bubbling and that distant cackling? That's because we're well and truly in the midst of the witching era. The timing of this witchy-ssaince couldn't be more perfect. Witches have always represented women's power – and the others' deep-seated fear of it. Fittingly, we're living in an era in which women's voices have been granted the power to topple entrenched systems of oppression. Now, women don't need spells to be powerful (though spells don't hurt).
Hot on the heels of mindfulness, crystals and reiki, witchcraft is just another way of exploring wellness. One which asks the question, could witchcraft – a space arguably inhabited by women alone – be offering us a way to vent our frustration at the status quo, and even seek revenge? Lana Del Rey famously admitted to casting a hex on Trump in 2017.
TRENDING TODAY: 13 Costumes You Can DIY With Just A Black Dress
So, if you want in, initiation to a coven is easy as the moment you say you’re a witch is the moment you become a witch - no rituals, or ceremonies required. Three cheers for casual, recreational witchcraft for the busy witch! You can also order sage, crystal eggs, rose quartz and howlite wands (said to help heal, encourage romance and relieve stress, FYI).
Now you're a witch and the fact it's the most important day of the year for our kind, below is a spell for beginners that will attract good fortune (because who doesn't want that?).
A HALLOWEEN SPELL
The best day to cast this spell is during a waxing half-moon, or when Halloween falls on a Thursday if you can't wait that long.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 air tight jar with a lid
- 8 ten cent coins to represent money. (In numerology, the number eight is associated with the movement of money.)
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme (dried works too) for luck
- Orange peels for prosperity
- A handful of fresh basil (dried works too) for protection
- Cloves (whole or ground) for money
- Oats for prosperity and abundance
- Sprinkles or dextrose star candies (fruits or stars) to sweeten the deal
- 1 pen or marker with green ink
- 1 green candle and 1 white candle
WHAT TO DO:
1. Set up your space for spell-casting in whichever way makes you most comfortable. Clean it, sage it, lock your door — whatever makes you feel safe.
2. Write your intention on a piece of paper with a marker or pen with green ink. Fold and lay at the bottom of the jar.
3. Layer 8 new or freshly cleaned and purified ten cent coins (or another type of coin) on top of the paper, focusing on your intention.
4. Run the thyme, basil, and cloves through a mortar and pestle — if you don’t have one, you can chop or tear the leaves and mix with the cloves.
5. Add a layer of this herbal mixture on top of the coins.
6. Then, add a layer of oats.
7. Add a layer of sprinkles to sweeten the deal.
8. Continue to layer your herb mixture and the star candies until you have eight even layers, all while envisioning your intention.
9. From here, you can either leave the jar open and add loose change to the jar every day or so until the fortune you desire has come to you, or seal the jar with the lid and burn a white and green candle over the top to make the spell permanent.
10. After you have obtained the fortune, remove the paper and either burn or bury it.