You don't need a fancy ice cream maker to make ice cream at home.
Just the thought of ice cream is enough to conjure dreams of sunny weekend days lounging on the beach, swimming in the sea and taking a break from the heat with a delicious ice-cold treat. And although you won't be lounging on the beach anytime soon (seriously, stay at home), that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the deliciousness that is a refreshingly cool scoop of ice cream. Just swap lounging on the beach for your back garden. Simple.
And speaking of simple, why not cure your quarantine boredom by making your very own ice cream? 'But I don't have an ice cream maker', we hear you cry. Don't stress. All you need is a plastic freezer bag, strawberries, bananas and vanilla extract. That's it, just mix and freeze. The hard part? You’ll have to wait for them to become icy cold.
Just follow the instructions below to learn how to make homemade ice cream by hand.
three-ingredient strawberry ice cream
- 20 strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a sealable freezer bag, combine three-quarters of the chopped strawberries with the banana slices. Seal and place in the freezer for 3-4 hours. Place the remaining chopped strawberries in the fridge.
- Transfer the frozen fruit to the bowl of a food processor. Whizz for five minutes or until creamy. Stir in the vanilla extract and reserved strawberries.
- Serve immediately as soft-serve ice cream, or freeze in an airtight container for 2-3 hours. Allow to sit at room temperature for 2-3 minutes before scooping and serving.
To read the full recipe courtesy of Bord Bia, click here.
This article was originally posted on our sister site, FOOD AND WINE.
Main image by ian dooley
READ MORE: 7 Gin Cocktails You Can Make at Home