Like everything else right now, it had to do with #COVID19
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex made their final official appearances as senior royals last week, but it was notably without their son Archie which, of course, Meghan was condemned for.
Speaking on Nine News in Australia, Dickie Arbiter - Queen Elizabeth’s press spokesperson from 1988 until 2000 - criticised the couple for the choice, calling them ‘inconsiderate’ and ‘spiteful’ and said there ‘isn’t an excuse’ for the Sussex’s ‘not bringing’ their only son overseas.
TRENDING TODAY: The Good News About Covid-19 – To Counteract The Panic
But many others also came to the royal couple's defence, saying the decision made sense, in midst of a coronavirus outbreak, taking a 10-month-old baby on an international flight just doesn't seem like the smartest idea. And now, it's been confirmed that keeping baby Archie safe was exactly the reason behind Meghan and Harry's (just Harry) decision.
According to The Telegraph, prior to Monday’s Commonwealth Service, Meghan met with young scholars at Buckingham Palace to talk about public health, which naturally turned to discuss the #COVID19 outbreak. Meghan said:
The decision to leave Archie behind in Canada came not out of petty spite, as reported in some areas, but out of concern for his health during the threat of a global pandemic,
A more than reasonable decision in our opinion.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will officially end their royal duties on March 31.
Main image by Getty Images