The remains of almost 800 children lay in a septic tank at the site.
A group of survivors, family members and advocates representing the lost children of the Tuam Mother and Baby Home have called on the Government to begin collecting DNA samples.
The Tuam Home Survivors’ Network said this process has a certain urgency attached to it due to the age profile and health status of some of its elderly members.
'Results from our ageing and in, some cases, frail membership, should be banked to eliminate any delay in returning human remains to identifiable relatives for dignified burials,' the group said in a statement.
'This work should proceed in a way that will be of greatest benefit to the greatest number of
survivors, victims and families.
'For this to be achieved, as much information as possible should be obtained from each sample of human remains. The quantifying of the DNA extracted is the paramount task to be accomplished,' they continued.
They also suggested that the methodology of this case should follow guidelines from other
sites such as the World Trade Centre and California fires.
'In the event, the quantity is insufficient for current analysis, it should be safely and appropriately stored future analysis when technology advances will present new opportunities for matching,' they wrote.
The statement finishes by saying that DNA of the frailer members of the group 'should be banked' to eliminate any delay in returning human remains to identifiable relatives for dignified burials.
“Time is of the essence,” Liam Tansey, from the Tuam Home Survivors’ Network told RTE’s Morning Ireland on Tuesday.
“We are now calling on the Minister to meet us, we want to be constructive partners in the process,” he added.
“The work should start immediately.”
Earlier this month, Tuam Babies Family Group called for the early publication of the Mother and Baby Homes Commission of Investigation which details the inquiry made into a number of homes around the country back in 2012.
The investigation into the Tuam Mother and Baby Home began in October 2015 followed by a five-week test excavation in September 2016.
Thorough investigations continued until July 2018 when the Commission's involvement eventually ceased. A final report was due last year but a one-year extension was sought.
A second twelve-month extension was granted earlier this week, in order to deliver “a complete analysis”.
However, it's now understood by fellow survivor group Irish First Mothers that, due to the commission’s workload and resources, it was unlikely that the report would be seen before 2021.
Legal action has proceeded as a direct result of this.